Here is one that I stumbled (happily) upon last night that I can NOT get out of my brain. Seriously, check it out. Read it. Ponder it.
Can you imagine?
If you can, tell me how! I can NOT. Seriously,
100 things?
I understand and appreciate simplicity. I truly do. I am not a pack ratter, I am not a hoarder. I get rid of things easily, often too easily. What my kids get for the birthday and Christmas is mostly gone by the next birthday or Christmas. Only the things that they play with...OFTEN...at least a few times a week...remain. The rest is given away. To my dismay I have learned though that toys are recommended for ages much younger than they should be. If my child got it for their first birthday and it said "1 year" on it... well, chances are it's gone by the time they are 2, if not younger. Then they see that toy later in life and LOVE it. Sadly, their's is already gone. Alas, I regress....
100 things.
really?
think about that for a minute...
While I am not a keeper of tons of things, I still have plenty I could do without and plenty I aim to do without. I am a STUFFER. I STUFF things anywhere and everywhere. It's not that I am completely unorganized because I know where that stuff has been stuffed. But I am lazy in that I don't take the time to box, organize, contain, etc. I simply stuff. This leads to stuffed closets that then get emptied in my frustration at feeling over stuffed!
I love this line from the article "'I need to get some control over my life, even if it is just a tidy kitchen counter.'" While I don't feel like my LIFE is out of control, I despise how the state of my closet weighs on me. It truly bogs me down and it's like a thorn in my side.
Here are some photos for thoughts on this...
(and NO, I will NOT be posting a photo of my closet until I think and am prepared to tackle that project) (and that will take a few days on both parts!)

my junk drawer is an example...there are probably 100 things in this drawer alone. Now it's a good example of what needs to be thrown out, organized, and just gotten rid of. Indeed it is called a JUNK drawer for a reason. I can understand getting rid of this stuff and it doesn't bother me a bit. (and I WILL do it)
but then there are things like this

do you really get rid of books?
I mean, 100 things.
really?
I must own 100 Christmas decorations alone.
While shoes and clothes aren't really a problem for me, PHOTOS are....
so do you categorize?
My hubby suggested 100 things per room?
per cateogory?
per person?
can YOU fathom it?
what can you get rid of?
What areas in your home or even life are stuffed where a clean sweep could do wonders?
is it your closet?
is it your daily activities?
is it your child's activities?
is it your prayer time?
we can help each other through this...
right?
:0)

THANK YOU so much for posting this blog. While I'm not ready to whittle down to 100 things, I think I may try getting rid of 100 things per week (maybe) which for me would equate to cleaning out the junk drawer one week, closet one week, toy box one week...
Yup, I think I'm gonna try it.
100 things might seem like the smart thing unless...
... your a homeschooler- curriculum for each kid is for sure more than 100 things
... you have more than one child- rebuying clothes every season, or toys, or shoes would not be smart (financially, environmentally, etc.)
... you reuse the items and therefore would prevent rebuying and/or filling up the landfill (ex: your Christmas ornamants and other seasonal decor)
I like the premise of the idea. We have TOO MUCH STUFF! I saw this when we started packing. Got rid of a lot and plan to get rid of more when we move. But 100 things might be too much of a stretch. I wonder how much he buys.
I saw someone on a blog post "Don't Buy Anything New" and I liked that challenge. Reuse. Buy reused. Do without. Etc. That paired with some serious de-cluttering could be a win/win.
love ya!
I LOVE the idea of don't buy anything new and pairing that with de-cluttering. I think I may have to put forth some effort in retraining my brain that way. Only buy new in the departments of food (and other consumables), some electronics, mattresses/pillows, and probably tennis shoes...maybe....
definitely things to think about! :0)
so far, I have cleaned out the junk drawer!
Awesome. I'll need the accountability!! I'm so proud of you for already starting. I think my 100-thing day will be Thursdays. It's the day I seem to have the least amount of chores to do. I'll post before and after pics to keep accountable.
Glad we got to talk today!! Did you see my rose pictures? What do you think?
So I have decided to get rid of 50 things per week...FOR NOW! I'm not sure I can dive right into cutting down to 100 things, same reasons GfG gave, but I would love to begin to De-Clutter. when i lived in Texas I used FLYLADY.NET and that was VERY helpful for me, but snce we moved i just haven't gotten back into it. I'm going to try now!
Good luck on your end!
There is NO way that I could just live with 100 things. Now I just skimmed the article.... but still... 100?!? I think I have 100 random things floating around in my car alone. 100 books for sure, 100 articles of clothing... wowzers. Nope. But it does make me want to minimize like many of those posted before me. 100... sheesh.