Yep, it's spring and here at our home there are two parts of that that REALLY excite us. It seems like every year we have a few families of birds that always come build their nests on our front porch. It's absolutely adorable to watch and we feel blessed to get to "care" for them in any way. (although they haven't shown up yet this year and we are getting sad/nervous!)The second is CATERPILLARS! We love them! Last year we had A BUNCH and we had quite the stories to tell. I thought I blogged about it but I haven't found that post yet.... hmmm....
Anyway, we had lots and lots of beautiful caterpillars. We researched and found out they were ones that would grow into Black Swallowtail Butterflies. We also discovered what it was growing wild all over our yards that they love so much....dill!
So...we did our best to protect them (long story, traumatizing story, there of a yard man from next door trying to be "helpful") and watch them grow.
This year we wanted to be ready. I saw all of the dill starting to grow and knew that caterpillars may start showing up (hopefully!). So when I mowed last weekend I decided to leave a nice size patch to make into our "caterpillar nursery". My bestie Jen even came by and put up a little fence around it for us! YEA!
Sure enough.....our first caterpillar showed up today! WOOHOO! Now, it showed up on the dill in our back yard BUT we want to keep it safe so we carefully transferred it to our front yard, to the nursery. :0)
The fencing is green and a bit hard to see....We are thrilled! We hope and pray to see many more start to show up. We also planted Butterfly bush last year and the butterflies love it...then we get to see them from caterpillar to butterfly for quite a while! :0)
Do you have some favorite God given/nature traditions for spring?
