
Most people love photos right? If you know me in real life...you know I REALLY love photos, I love taking them, playing with them on the computer, framing them, etc. They are all over my house.
With the kids having a "new" room, it was like a blank canvas to have fun with. SO, I decided to try putting photos on canvas! I am so glad I did. Yes, I've said many times I am going to pay to have photos put on canvas and one day I may...but for now I REALLY love how these turned out.
First I went to Michael's. They had their double packs of canvases on sale~buy one get one free. So for $5.99 I would get FOUR canvases. YEA! :0)

So I then printed some photos at Costco, 8x10 of course. I went ahead and had 8 printed. Word to the wise or inexperienced...photos aren't naturally fit for 8x10. SO, if you have a photo on your computer that you download to a developer, then order it in 8x10, it will probably need to be cropped. Which means if you don't crop it, they will...often leaving you with a photo missing a head. (I speak from experience). All that to say, play with it on your computer, cropping it or making it to 8x10, save it THAT way and then download it to the site. :0)
I got out my wonderful ModPodge and went to work. I painted a layter of modpodge on and put the photo on top. My photos were a bit bigger than the canvas but that ended up being great. I let it dry for a bit then used a box cutter to trim the edges (cutting from the back with the canvas face-down). Then I realized that I didn't want it so straight-edged. I decided to sort of run my box cutter back and forth across the edges at an angle....sort of scraping the sides of the photo. I kept doing that and liked the rough edges it was giving the photos. :0)


Then I modpodged onto the front of the photos. I painted it on loosely but then used a foam roller to go over it. I LOVE the texture a foam roller leaves behind.
(remember that it has to dry before you can see how clearly it dries and the texture it leaves)I did that for each photo and then applied a second coat of modpodge (again rolling it out). I let them dry and VOILA! I LOOOOVE them! I'll show you all of them down the road, when I get them hung up and do a blog on the new room. :0)
Thanks for looking!
Super easy project and pretty inexpensive~ $1.50 for each canvas, $1.50 for the print. Total~$3.00 for each one. YEA! :0)
Now, my canvas photos don't wrap around the sides...maybe you can do that but since I really liked the rough-edge-look, I'm super happy with them.

:0)
~robin

What a neat idea. I am also a photo fanatic. Obsessed even. :D