• Home
  • Posts RSS
  • Comments RSS
  • Edit
Blue Orange Green Pink Purple

A glimpse of us!

Bench redo

With all of my crafting, decorating, and creating lately I am constantly on the hunt for things to work with. A few weeks ago I went with a friend of mine to a house that her inlaws were cleaning out and emptying. There was a LOT of stuff stored there, mostly files and childhood boxes of various things. I walked around with her, my eyes searching for some goodies. When I saw a bench that looked PERFECT for me, I let her know that I would love it if her MIL was going to get rid of it. She told me she would ask and see.

A couple of days later she showed up at my house with the bench. :0)

It looked like this:
So I took the top off...just found a place to start and started ripping the leather off, popping out the upholstery tacks. I got it all off and removed the top piece completely. Basically it's a board with a large foam piece on top. They were all still in good shape so I put those aside to use again.
Then I sanded it. I used a rotary palm sander and sanded it a bit. Not tons but enough so I thought it would take paint.
Then...I spray painted it. Yep, you read that right...I spray painted it black. I wasn't sure if the paint would hold, didn't seem like I got enough of the finish off and since this bench is at least 40-50 years old, I wasn't sure what would happen. Well, the paint didn't stick super great. BUT I did a few coats and let it dry. I wasn't worried about perfection because I knew I wanted to go back and sand it a bit again...distress it a little.
So that's what I did. Then I used Minwax Rub On Poly and applied a few coats of that.

After it all dried I went and picked out some fabric. I thought I was going to go for something very simple...maybe some reds and blues...paisley or a simple damask. I knew though that I wanted to incorporate red, blue, green, black, ...etc....whichever ones I could or as many as I could. I saw this fabric and decided to take a chance. It was very different than what I thought I would get.
I love it!
I really do!
:0)
This is how it turned out:
I love it! It looks great in my living room. :0)
YEA!
All it cost me was the fabric...I even took the time to spray paint the upholstery tacks black. :0)

Thanks for stopping by!
Read More 1 Comment | Posted by cajungal01 edit post

1 Comment

  1. Kelly on April 18, 2011 at 11:02 AM

    That fabric is absolutely fantastic! So cheerful.


    Kelly

     


Post a Comment
Newer Post Older Post Home

Every Minute of Every Day...






About Me

cajungal01
Here I am finding myself getting closer to "middle aged" and loving life more and more. I think I learn more about myself each year and while some things I find a bit discomforting (and will work on), others I am proud of. I love how the Lord works in all of us constantly and as we each pass through various seasons of our lives he sends different people... some as mentors, some to mentor, and some to walk parallel with. I look forward to each day and what He brings with it.
View my complete profile

Blog Archive

  • ▼ 2011 (41)
    • ► November (5)
    • ► June (7)
    • ► May (10)
    • ▼ April (13)
      • Works for Me... stuffed animal holder!
      • more canvas "photos"
      • That time again and we are SOOO excited!
      • Black and White photos on canvas!
      • BookBed Caddies!
      • Bench redo
      • Spring Cleaning!
      • my nemesis
      • Super painting!
      • We love SPRING!
      • Seriously cute right?
      • A room to grow in...
      • I am SOOO excited about this project!
    • ► March (2)
    • ► February (2)
    • ► January (2)
  • ► 2010 (16)
    • ► November (3)
    • ► October (8)
    • ► September (2)
    • ► March (1)
    • ► February (2)
  • ► 2009 (41)
    • ► November (1)
    • ► October (5)
    • ► August (3)
    • ► July (6)
    • ► June (1)
    • ► May (1)
    • ► April (4)
    • ► March (10)
    • ► February (4)
    • ► January (6)
  • ► 2008 (96)
    • ► December (8)
    • ► November (9)
    • ► October (7)
    • ► September (6)
    • ► August (6)
    • ► July (7)
    • ► June (15)
    • ► May (10)
    • ► April (8)
    • ► March (7)
    • ► February (5)
    • ► January (8)
  • ► 2007 (9)
    • ► December (9)

My Blog List

  • Not JUST A Housewife
  • Positively Splendid
  • iDreamofClean
  • somewhat simple- DIY projects and creative ideas for your home and family
  • Grateful for Grace
  • The DIY Show Off
  • Sugar Bee Crafts: sewing, recipes, crafts, photo tips, and more!
  • Crafts & Sutch
  • Under The Table and Dreaming

to the beat of His heart...

Archive

  • ▼  2011 (41)
    • ►  November (5)
    • ►  June (7)
    • ►  May (10)
    • ▼  April (13)
      • Works for Me... stuffed animal holder!
      • more canvas "photos"
      • That time again and we are SOOO excited!
      • Black and White photos on canvas!
      • BookBed Caddies!
      • Bench redo
      • Spring Cleaning!
      • my nemesis
      • Super painting!
      • We love SPRING!
      • Seriously cute right?
      • A room to grow in...
      • I am SOOO excited about this project!
    • ►  March (2)
    • ►  February (2)
    • ►  January (2)
  • ►  2010 (16)
    • ►  November (3)
    • ►  October (8)
    • ►  September (2)
    • ►  March (1)
    • ►  February (2)
  • ►  2009 (41)
    • ►  November (1)
    • ►  October (5)
    • ►  August (3)
    • ►  July (6)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (10)
    • ►  February (4)
    • ►  January (6)
  • ►  2008 (96)
    • ►  December (8)
    • ►  November (9)
    • ►  October (7)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (6)
    • ►  July (7)
    • ►  June (15)
    • ►  May (10)
    • ►  April (8)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (5)
    • ►  January (8)
  • ►  2007 (9)
    • ►  December (9)
Powered by Blogger.
  • Search






    • Home
    • Posts RSS
    • Comments RSS
    • Edit

    © Copyright to the beat of His heart.... All rights reserved.
    Designed by FTL Wordpress Themes | Bloggerized by FalconHive.com
    brought to you by Smashing Magazine

    Back to Top