We recently cut apart our kids' bunk bed into two twin beds. I am so glad we did!When I was prepping the bunk bed I took off a bunch of extra boards. Boards that were the steps for the ladder, boards that made up the side rails, etc. I knew right away that I would figure out something to do with those boards! They were all cut nicely, sanded, etc... I wasn't going to let them go to waste!
Here is the first project with my "new" wooden boards.See, my kids LOVE to COLLECT! Anything really~rocks, feathers, "things that are silver", GoGos, bottlecaps, keys, ETC. It's kinda crazy.
Well, now that we are redoing the kids' room, I wanted to find a way to display and have access to all of their "collections".
I have recently reorganized my laundry room (there will be posts in the future on that :0) and we had a little metal cart/rack that we weren't using anymore. I stuck it in the garage until I knew what I wanted to do with it. Well, now I knew!
So first the rack got a good cleanin'. My wonderful assistant loved the job and did a great one too!

Then I took 4 of the boards that were a PERFECT size for what I had in mind. I decided to cover them with scrapbook paper, modpodge it on there. I thought I was going to do a background paper and then a solid color and then the words...but the boards were around 14 inches long...longer than scrapbook paper. So I had to come up with something else.
I only had one sheet of the background paper so I had to make it stretch. Going through my stash of paper I decided to grab my paper cutter and make stripes! I knew that would give me the most use for one piece of paper. I cut the patterned paper and the coordinating solids. I made strips 2inx1in. I only had to cut one long piece 2inx12 in of each of the coordinating solids. The patterned paper was cut into 2 in strips and then cut all strips into 1 in pieces. :0)





After gluing (modpodging) the stripes on, I sat down at my Silhouette and decided on labels. I LOVE how they turned out!


They each had a couple of coats of modpodge on them and then I also gave them a good spray with some clear spray paint.
Next I grabbed my drill. I measured 2 inches from each end and that's where I drilled a hole.


After that I simply twisted in some eye hooks. Super easy!


Then I used jute to tie them up onto the rack.

I LOOOOVE them! I think they are adorable and my kiddos now have plenty of containers to store all of their collections! They love it too!


(PS...thank you to Target who had these great containers in the dollar bin! I almost started jumping up and down...as I filled my cart with them!):0)
I'm linking up to the following parties:



Oh, I want one! I want one!! I want one!!!
Darling, darling, darling!
Sigh. Another reason I wish we had a Target.
GREAT idea!!!! So cute!!
www.iheartmygluegun.com
That turned out great. It looks totally professional. I love the pics in your header, you have some super cute kiddos! :)
Thanks for dropping by my blog!
Aren't you clever?!? Love your cart and signs! I hope you stop by the Tuesday To Do party and share it!
http://blackberryvine.blogspot.com/2011/04/tuesday-to-do-5-and-4-list-makers.html
Smiles!
Jami
That's such a cute project! Thanks for linking up to our party.
That is so cute! I love your blog and will be following you now! :) Erin
www.healthybranscoms.com
Thanks so much for the sweet comments ladies! :0) It's always wonderful to get feedback, especially when you're pretty new to this. :0)
Erin~I'm going to check out your blog next! Thanks again for stopping by. :0)
~robin
Yes! Seriously cute! ; )