Caleb loves it if other kids are there playing so he can find someone to play with.
Last Saturday there was a little boy named Chris at the park. Well, I say little but Chris was a pretty tall 5 year old, super long legs (and no, not just in comparison to ours!)
Anyway, Chris was a lot of fun to play with for Caleb and they got along great.
Then Chris did something fabulous...he walked over to a nearby bike and hopped on.
He had seen us arrive on our bikes so he asked Caleb if he wanted to ride bikes for a while.
Chris though, didn't have any training wheels on his bike!
He took off like a rocket! He and Caleb rode bikes together around the track, racing over and over.
Caleb lost every time.
I pointed out "Look, Chris doesn't have training wheels on his bike. You can go faster without training wheels."
Caleb must have pondered this for a while because when they were finished riding Caleb asked Chris "How old are you?"
Chris replied "5".
AHHH...the look on Caleb's face! He immediately ran to me and said "Momma, I want to take my training wheels off." :0)
I didn't have the tools there to do so AND we couldn't find Caleb's helmet.
So it had to wait.
The next day we woke up to dropping temperatures and lots of wind.
We postponed our biking adventure.
Yesterday evening we finally got the new helmet and headed for the park, knowing we didn't have much time before the sun went down.
Caleb was determined though.
And
He did it!
A couple of little distances and then one LOOOONG way...all by himself! It was so great! I was screaming and cheering like a crazy lady. :0)
He did a few more short bursts and before leaving, another really long stretch. By then, it was dark so we headed home, promising to go bike riding today.
Well, true to Texas weather lately...while yesterday hit 80 degrees, this morning it was 51 and forecasts showed the temps to continue to drop all day. So at 9:00 with a temp of 51, that was the warmest we are supposed to get all day. I asked Caleb if he wanted to go try out riding again.
I didn't need to ask.
We drove up to the park to try to get some ride time in.
Caleb did FANTASTIC! He got on and just took off!
He doesn't have the hang of turning yet, he slows down to much when he tries.
But he went really far and we were both super excited.
Problem was...the winds here are strong today (20-30 mph!) and after two long stretches, Caleb was finished.
"It's too cold and the wind is hard Momma, I want to go watch a movie."
(Yeah, my kids aren't real hip to cold weather!)
We're prayin' that God will work with us on the biking/weather combination sometime soon. Seems like lately the only great weather is when we are NOT available to go biking....
we have faith though.
So...here is my big boy on his bike!





He is NOT old or big enough to be RIDING A BIKE without training wheels!!!! NO! Nope!
Yea!!!!! Wahooo!!! Way to go, Caleb!!!! Auntie is very proud of you.
I remember the day my fistborn did it. I videoed and cried while cheering like a crazy woman, too. Must be in the genes. ;-)
We're all very proud here!
YAY CALEB!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow, way to go Caleb!!