I learned.
God spoke to my heart.
I listened.
I do remember our pastor saying that ALL of us are created in His image.
ALL OF US.
Nobody was created better than anyone else, worse than anyone else.
As the message continued I enjoyed myself more and more.
I looked around at other people there. I looked around at men there and saw husbands that seem to have it all together. (mine didn't go to church with me today)
Godly husbands.
Loving husbands.
Perfect husbands.
I found myself thinking "If only mine could be like that. How awesome that must be."
Yes, I did.
I then let myself think "Hmmm...they probably aren't as great as they seem. Looks can be deceiving. The one leading hymns could be horribly mean. A man that seems all perfect COULD be the opposite."
And then it hit me...
God made ALL OF US in His image.
Including my husband.
I was letting myself think worse of other guys in order to feel better about mine.
How horrible!
Instead I am to think better of mine!!!!
HE is made in His image. He is not any less than any other. Others weren't made better than him! He was wonderfully and perfectly made.
Instead of pushing others down, I am to lift HIM up!
My eyes were opened.
My heart was filled.
I have prayed for years "God help me to love him the way you love him. Help me to see him through your eyes."
But I haven't been truly doing that. I think down on him. I emotionally look down at him.
And those thoughts, those feelings manifest in my actions and attitude.
I am to LIFT HIM UP!
I smiled. I prayed. I thanked the Lord for showing me my errors. That while I've always said "we all have things to work on, nobody is perfect", that I still held anger in my heart for my husband not being what I think is perfect. Shame on me.
And then God showed me a glimpse that He truly can work within us. Both of us.
I asked my hubby to go see a movie with me tonight.
Not just any movie.
"Fireproof".
He said yes.
We did.
It was amazing.
AMAZING!
I cried (a lot!) and even my hubby came close to tears.
I prayed before the movie, I prayed after...and I will pray each day.
That He works in ME and in our marriage.
For ALL MARRIAGES can use more of Him in them.
If you haven't seen the movie...I HIGHLY recommend it.
Absolutely amazing.
What a wonderful wonderful day.
~robin
Thank you Lord for this day. Thank you for being patient with me, for guiding me, for loving me. Forgive me for not lifting up my husband. Take away any anger, bitterness, and selfishness that is hindering my marriage from becoming more of a marriage for You. Fill me with your gentleness, joy, and patience. Help me focus on the many wonderful things about my husband. Help me focus on what I need to change in me to better glorify You.
Amen

I know you do not know me but I am a friend of Megan's. I read your post and it really hit home about remembering to lift up my husband a lot more than I do. Thank you for helping me to remember that we are all made in His image. We had a sermon that was based on that subject a few months back but its always good to be reminded.
What a great day. It was a great testimony to me. Sometimes I am at church all alone as well.
we have to same pantry, tiny, but needs to hold lots of food. I've cleaned it more than once, it still gets messy. It's in need of another cleaning. I love the basket idea, I'll have to try it.
What a wonderful lesson God spoke to your heart. Beautiful.
I'm so very glad you two were able to go to the movie.
Talk to you soon!
love,
me
I'm so glad that you went to see the movie! I said a prayer along with you from your email! I am so glad you were blessed and encouraged by the movie and the sermon! God sure does know what he's doing!
I'm giving you a heads up...I'm tagging you in tomorrow night's post! Keep your eye out!
Erin