• Home
  • Posts RSS
  • Comments RSS
  • Edit
Blue Orange Green Pink Purple

A glimpse of us!

Challenge them....

On the way home from swim lessons today I got pretty frustrated. Frustrated with my kiddos...the constant tattling, the fussing with each other, the overall lack of kindness and love being shown for one another. It's just exhausting!

SO...I decided to challenge them.

I told them that they were going to have some challenges to complete that they had to do TOGETHER. Completely together with sharing ideas and explaining things. I got em' all pumped up about it. :0)

This was the first set of challenges:
all of these challenges used their wooden blocks:
1~ build a structure using 10-15 blocks that is at least 12 inches tall (I gave them a tape measure)
...if there is any arguing or unkind words, I would knock down the structure for them to start over... (it didn't happen though)

2~build a structure using no more than 15 blocks that is at least 18 inches tall. This time they had to take turns, one after the other, one by one

3~build a structure using no more than 10 blocks that is at least 18 inches tall. They had to take turns and talk/ask/explain before each block they put on. This was great because it helped them understand each other. (I sat nearby for this one to help). For example, Caleb wanted to put a long block upright....Georgia didn't like it BUT Caleb said "Georgia, turning it this way makes it a lot taller". She then understood better and was ok with it. :0)

They did GREAT!

The next challenge though...they are still working on...it's not nearly as easy nor going as well.
~Draw a PICTURE that has at least 6 different shapes and 15 different colors. They have to be part of a picture though...not just shapes drawn. The picture has to tell me who (characters) and when/where (setting).

Oh my oh my...the arguing and tears came full force. I made them talk for at least 3 minutes, nobody was allowed to pick up a crayon yet. They had to talk about what they wanted in the picture. That went pretty well. But once they started drawing, Caleb wanted to take control. "NO, I don't want any people in it. We always draw people". "No, the stem of the flower has to be green." "(scratch out)...birds doN'T have beaks like that"....
Ugh.
tears
tears
tears
fits.


I stopped them every now and then to talk about compromise.
I stopped them again to discuss that the picture is NOT Caleb's picture. It is supposed to be made by both of them, including their ideas and wants.

After the 3rd (and longest) discussion, it seemed to finally work. They are currently drawing nicely and talking to each other. :0)

I think this is going to be a part of our daily activities.... "challenge time".

What about your kiddos? Is the summer bringing new challenges and opportunities?
:0)

Read More 0 comments | Posted by cajungal01 edit post

0 comments



Post a Comment
Newer Post Older Post Home

Every Minute of Every Day...






About Me

cajungal01
Here I am finding myself getting closer to "middle aged" and loving life more and more. I think I learn more about myself each year and while some things I find a bit discomforting (and will work on), others I am proud of. I love how the Lord works in all of us constantly and as we each pass through various seasons of our lives he sends different people... some as mentors, some to mentor, and some to walk parallel with. I look forward to each day and what He brings with it.
View my complete profile

Blog Archive

  • ▼ 2011 (41)
    • ► November (5)
    • ▼ June (7)
      • So my "baby" isn't a baby anymore...
      • Challenge them....
      • A summer must have...and I promise you can make it!
      • MY Best Buy!
      • to encourage and to limit!
      • Tie Dye in a jar!
      • Glass Etching cream...
    • ► May (10)
    • ► April (13)
    • ► March (2)
    • ► February (2)
    • ► January (2)
  • ► 2010 (16)
    • ► November (3)
    • ► October (8)
    • ► September (2)
    • ► March (1)
    • ► February (2)
  • ► 2009 (41)
    • ► November (1)
    • ► October (5)
    • ► August (3)
    • ► July (6)
    • ► June (1)
    • ► May (1)
    • ► April (4)
    • ► March (10)
    • ► February (4)
    • ► January (6)
  • ► 2008 (96)
    • ► December (8)
    • ► November (9)
    • ► October (7)
    • ► September (6)
    • ► August (6)
    • ► July (7)
    • ► June (15)
    • ► May (10)
    • ► April (8)
    • ► March (7)
    • ► February (5)
    • ► January (8)
  • ► 2007 (9)
    • ► December (9)

My Blog List

  • Not JUST A Housewife
  • Positively Splendid
  • iDreamofClean
  • somewhat simple- DIY projects and creative ideas for your home and family
  • Grateful for Grace
  • The DIY Show Off
  • Sugar Bee Crafts: sewing, recipes, crafts, photo tips, and more!
  • Crafts & Sutch
  • Under The Table and Dreaming

to the beat of His heart...

Archive

  • ▼  2011 (41)
    • ►  November (5)
    • ▼  June (7)
      • So my "baby" isn't a baby anymore...
      • Challenge them....
      • A summer must have...and I promise you can make it!
      • MY Best Buy!
      • to encourage and to limit!
      • Tie Dye in a jar!
      • Glass Etching cream...
    • ►  May (10)
    • ►  April (13)
    • ►  March (2)
    • ►  February (2)
    • ►  January (2)
  • ►  2010 (16)
    • ►  November (3)
    • ►  October (8)
    • ►  September (2)
    • ►  March (1)
    • ►  February (2)
  • ►  2009 (41)
    • ►  November (1)
    • ►  October (5)
    • ►  August (3)
    • ►  July (6)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (10)
    • ►  February (4)
    • ►  January (6)
  • ►  2008 (96)
    • ►  December (8)
    • ►  November (9)
    • ►  October (7)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (6)
    • ►  July (7)
    • ►  June (15)
    • ►  May (10)
    • ►  April (8)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (5)
    • ►  January (8)
  • ►  2007 (9)
    • ►  December (9)
Powered by Blogger.
  • Search






    • Home
    • Posts RSS
    • Comments RSS
    • Edit

    © Copyright to the beat of His heart.... All rights reserved.
    Designed by FTL Wordpress Themes | Bloggerized by FalconHive.com
    brought to you by Smashing Magazine

    Back to Top